Petrified Forest National Park, AZ

May 9

PETRIFIED FOREST NATIONAL PARK, AZ

The Petrified Forest National Park is a must-see part of Arizona. The boys loved hiking! They wanted me to take a picture of every petrified log they found. We discovered that silica (the little packets that come in your shoe box) mixed with water infiltrated the logs. The logs were cut off from oxygen deep in the mud and over a crazy long period of time they petrified as the silica reacted with the organic material. Amazing. We stayed just outside the park at the Sun Valley RV resort. I'd say the term resort is pushing it. The people who work there are lovely and that's all the luxury I really need at this time in my life. 

Again, there's Jude the free-climber! I'll post the pic soon. Whew! I'm convinced, if there is a vertical surface with a single foothold this kid will find a way. Again, gulp! 

Jules and Jude earned their Junior Ranger badges. They were so proud and excited! We ran through the door just before 5:00. A kind Ranger swore them in at the last moment. Whew! I am so grateful to this man! He was a good sport and a trooper for sure. 

During our "tour" the boys can earn a badge at each park. That means they'll have 27 shining achievements to make this trip more memorable. It's all about the memories, people! 










Popular Posts